This is going to be a marathon not a race. This week I am thinking of how I can help the black community long term while also addressing the urgent issues at hand. Here are some actionable items we can do today to help in the fight to end racism.
1. White people: read “White Fragility” by Robin DiAngelo. It’s about the widespread defensiveness that white people have when their ideas about race and racism are challenged.
2. Buy black owned this week. @missjulee has been putting together lists of black owned businesses to support. Go check them out, saved in her stories.
3. Condemn police violence: Make calls to your local representatives and speak out against the acts of violence committed against peaceful protestors in your area or other cities. Urge senators to open hearings and condemn Trump calling for violence against those demanding justice. Visit 8cantwait.org to learn about the 8 policing policies that need to be reformed now to save lives.
4. Talk to your family about racism. White people may say “but they aren’t racist” but there is a difference between intent and impact. Be vulnerable, admit you were wrong, and if you can learn racism you can unlearn it too. Click here to read the helpful guide by @jenerous
5. Avoid optical allyship: how can we transition this momentum and support into the real world for our black friends? How can we avoid being just an empty black box of “solidarity”? It starts with doing our internal antiracist work so we can show up for and be compassionate for our black community. Things like checking in on our black friends and providing support like a home cooked meal, loving words or a soothing gift. Visit www.vogue.co.uk for the full guide.
More reading and resources:
Why we Need to Stop Saying "All Lives Matter"
Image via @mujermuralista.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Print and download this chart to find your ring size. Make sure you use exactly 8.5"x11" letter paper. You can use a string or a piece of paper and wrap around your finger or nuckle to measure the circumference and match to your size.
Brilliant Earth Ring Sizing Guide ↠
Follow this chart to see where the necklace will fall. All necklace sizes are described on the product pages. We suggest getting a piece of string and measuring necklace on your neck to ensure best fit.
To keep your jewels looking their best please keep these tips in mind to extend the life of your pieces.